Monday, October 26, 2009

NYC Marathon in 5 days and counting!!!

I think I'm slowly getting over Marty. He was kinda ugly and I wasn't attracted to him at all. I just liked his personality.

Anyways, I'm not running with Nori or Marty for the marathon. I've decided to run it on my own. That way I can slow down or speed up when I want to and not have to worry about someone else... My aim is to finish this marathon in 4:10... so 9:30 minute miles. I did 9:30 min miles for the Brooklyn Half-Marathon and that tactic was to slow down at the water stops and walk while drinking Gatorade and then speeding up after the water stops to run at a 9-9:15 pace. Worse case scenario is I do 10 minute miles and do it in 4:22 like the LI Marathon. It's my first NYC Marathon so so excited. I was going to ask my mom and dad to wait for me at the finish line, but I don't think I'm going to make them do that. I was also going to ask my friends to come and cheer for me along the route, but I don't think I'm going to make them come out.

On an interesting note, I have to say Marty's treating me like shit. One reason I'm getting over him. He's not the nice guy I thought he was. I know I'm not dating him anymore but the least he can do is respond to me. For instance I sent him a fb message last Sunday asking him if he was doing the Poland Spring Marathon Kickoff 5 mile race yesterday. No response so I sent him an email on Tuesday asking him again abt that and the marathon. Then Wed or Thurs night I see him online and he apologizes to me for not getting back to me via chat, and I tell him thats okay, to let me know. Then on Saturday morning I see him online and he tells me he's not sure if he's running the 5 miler. And then saying judging from our half-marathon (we ran the first 7 miles of the half marathon before I lost him) we prolly can't run the marathon together. I am pretty pissed off since I thought he was my training partner. I even gave him a gift of a running book. If only I can take it back. So I tell him we'll run the races at our own pace and just meet up at the start and he agreed to that. But lately, I've checked his race finish times and they are much faster than what he used to run. I want to caution him not to go out too fast, that's what happened to Rich. He ran the first 20 miles in 8:30-9 minute miles and then he was butchered for the rest of the run and ended up walking and finishing in 4:43... which means he averaged 11 minute miles. To go from 9 minute miles for the first 20 miles, to average 11 minute miles for 26.2 miles means you're walking the last three or four miles. I'd rather keep a 9:30-10 minute mile pace then to go out fast and then burn out before the race is over. If I learned one thing from Team for Kids while training for them is that you should run your last 10k faster than your first 20 miles...

Hmm that was a long paragraph but too lazy to divide it... :)

No comments: